Love Shouldn’t Hurt is an awareness, intervention, and prevention initiative that addresses the serious issue of abuse in dating relationships. Its purpose is to empower young people with the skills to distinguish between relationships based on power and control and those based on equality, respect and trust. Young people also learn strategies to help themselves and their peers confronting abuse.
There are three components to Love Shouldn’t Hurt:
- Workshops: We conduct interactive workshops in middle schools, high schools, colleges and community-based sites. Young people are empowered with potentially life-saving information on abuse, engage in role playing scenarios that distinguish between abusive and healthy relationships, learn about community resources, and receive hotline cards and other resource information that encourages them to call if they or a friend need help with abuse. Each workshop culminates with an invitation to join the STAR peer leadership program and to promote relationships based on equality, respect and trust.
- STAR Peer Leadership Program: Young people that accept our challenge to join STAR (Students Talking About Relationships) come together in their schools and communities to design and implement awareness events that promote healthy relationships based on equality, respect, and trust.
- Teen Symposium: At our annual symposium, students learn about dating violence and healthy relationships, engage in a dialogue about the issue, and are challenged to make a difference by joining our STAR peer leadership program. We also offer separate workshops for educators and counseling professionals.
STAR Chapter Locations
New STAR chapter for 2019:
- Sleepy Hollow High School
In 2018, STAR chapters operated out of these locations:
- Alexander Hamilton High School (Elmsford)
- Hendrick Hudson High School (Montrose)
- New Rochelle High School (New Rochelle)
- Ossining High School (Ossining)
- Scarsdale High School (Scarsdale)
- The Ursuline School (New Rochelle)
- Walter Panas High School (Cortlandt Manor)
- Westlake High School (Mount Pleasant)
- White Plains High School (White Plains)
- Yorktown High School (Yorktown)
- Albert Leonard Middle School and Isaac Young Middle School (New Rochelle)